Armstrong-Siddeley was created in 1919 from Armstrong-Whitworth of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Siddeley-Deasy of Coventry and started by announcing a five-litre 30 hp luxury car. Despite the austerity of the times this model continued in production until 1932.
Between 1933 and 1937 253 Specials were built. By 1937 the car weighed nearly 2.5 tons (2540 kg). These cars had some sporting potential and were powered by a 4.9 litre 6-cylinder engine with a Hiduminium alloy block and head. (Rolls-Royce had developed this alloy for their aero-engines and it was produced by the Siddeley subsidiary High Duty Alloys Ltd.). The saloon was priced at £950, while the limousine was sold for £1360. The short chassis version could reach 90 mph (145 kph).
The company was the first to introduce a new model after the Second World War instead of simply re-working a pre-war model as most other companies were doing. The new models were the Lancaster four-door saloon, the Hurricane drop-head coupe and the Typhoon fixed-head coupe and the short production Tempest. (Only six were built).
From 1953 the elegant Sapphire, a 3.5 litre six-cylinder saloon, was available with a selection of transmissions. Smaller versions of the Sapphire were produced in 1955, but were up against Jaguar in this market sector. Production ceased in 1960 when their parent company Hawker Siddeley merged with Bristol.
The content of this website is copyright © and design copyright 1991 and 2006 Electrick Publications and NJK. All rights reserved. The bird logo and name Bluebird and Blue Max are trademarks. The BE2 and BE3 vehicle shape and configuration are registered designs ®. All other trademarks are hereby acknowledged. Max Energy Limited is an environmental educational charity.